Saturday, October 13, 2012

Ruby Red Cake Pops

10/12/12

I was asked to do cake pops for a "Wizard of OZ" themed birthday party. My friend's 3 year old daughter loves Dorothy so I decided to do Ruby Red Cake Pops to showcase the famous Ruby Red Slippers. 

Here is what I used for my cake pops:
8 inch lollipop sticks (you can use whatever size you like) 
Small plastic bags to go over the cake pops
Paramount Crystals by CK (helps thin out candy)--if needed only
1 lb bag of Red Merken candy melts
Wilton's Red Colored Sugars (Sprinkles)
Red Sugar Sprinkles from Cake Walk 
Wilton's Pearlized Sugar-Ruby (Sprinkles)
Disco Dust-Ruby Red 
Light blue ribbon (3/8 inch-10yards) 

I microwaved the candy in a bowl until it was completely melted. I noticed that my candy was still thick after I melted it. I let it cool a little to see if it would thin as it cooled but it didn't thin out enough for what I wanted. At this point, I added 1 teaspoon of the Paramount Crystals while the candy was warm so that the crystals would melt into the candy. Once I did that, the consistency of the candy came out a lot smoother. If your candy is too think, it will show on your cake pop. I also let it cool because the cake pops are refrigerated and the candy is warm. Sometimes the cake can crack once you insert the lollipop stick dipped in warm candy. I dip the sticks into the candy and then insert them into the cake pops before I start dipping all of them. 



This is what my cake pop looked liked when I tried to add sprinkles when I had too much candy on it. YIKES! It looks like a mushroom from the weight of the candy and sprinkle combination.


When you are putting sprinkles on your cake pop, you have to make sure that the candy isn't too wet or else the sprinkles will sort of dissolve into the candy. Another thing that could happen (and did happen to me) is, your candy can dry before you add sprinkles. This is what happened when I added sprinkles too late. 



The best way to know is to test a few out. I always make more cake pops than I need in case I have any issues along the way (cracking, cake pop falls off stick, or it just didn't turn out the way you liked). One thing I didn't mention earlier, I combined all 3 types of sprinkles and some red disco dust to give the sprinkles texture, sparkle, and the red look I wanted with these cake pops. I wanted the cake pop to resemble the color and sparkle of the classic ruby red slippers. 

Once I was finished, I bagged them and tied light blue ribbon in the shape of bows on each cake pop. I noticed that when I was tying the bows that I have to tie them upside down in order for them to be right side up on the cake pop. Weird, I know. I guess that's how I learned to tie my shoes.

The cake pops came out really cute and I am sure all the kids will love them at the birthday party. 




1 comment:

  1. Rosanna!!! You are SOOOO creative!!! They are absolutely fantastic. You should be so very proud of yourself. I think you've really found your niche!

    ReplyDelete